Saturday, February 28, 2015

Winging Teaching

I had lots to talk about in today's blogging, particularly since it’s been a while, but I just couldn't make it all fit together decently. So. This is Part #1 (of 2) of my postings. 

Mom, it’s your lucky day. TWO blog posts in ONE day.

The last two weeks of teaching have been much the same as the first two days. The school has not made me a schedule, which means that I basically sit around until someone says "oh, you should come teach this class right now." And it's okay, because I like the kids and I’m enjoying teaching math and science. But right now I'm kind of serving as a fairly clueless substitute teacher, who has no real purpose at the school until I'm called upon to help.

So things can be a bit frustrating. Especially when no one asks for help and it's up to me to figure out which teachers have failed to show for their classes. 

The lack of organization is sometimes a little more than I’m used to. It’s occasionally a free-for-all in terms of scheduling. Teachers go to classes when they feel like it, without regard for the student-rung bell at the end of each period. They'll show up 20 minutes into the 35-minute period, or they'll stay an extra 15 minutes after it ends. Sometimes they'll hang in the staff room instead of teaching. Or they'll use PE time to teach English or math. 

A science mission to find flowers and identify their parts.
The kids, on the other hand, keep to their schedules. They are smart and some of the most motivated students I have ever encountered. Whenever they don’t have a teacher during a class period, or during their designated “Preps” time before, during, and after school, the kids tutor each other and review all material together. I’ve walked into classrooms to find students writing notes all over the board while their classmates listen silently. This is the first time I’ve witnessed this sort of willingness to learn. It’s more than a bit inspiring.

I'm now appreciating how difficult it is to teach older kids, especially in math and science, and especially, especially with no advance notice or prepared lesson plans. On the spot to teach, one of my fallbacks is to have the kids act things out, which they thoroughly enjoy. This week we acted out the inside parts of a flower, among other things. 

Two weeks ago, I walked into the staff room during morning break to find that there were salesmen unloading electric kettles, deep fryers, mosquito zappers, and thermoses around the room for staff to inspect and purchase. I did not purchase a crock-pot or electric lantern or blender. 

A note on food. We eat either beans and maize or beans and rice for lunch every single day, on an alternating schedule. This is the free meal that our public school provides for the kids. I thought I was done with beans and rice when I left Honduras. It’s okay, though, because Mom basically raised me on a diet of rice and beans – I’ve come prepared.

After our Friday morning assemblies, the kids have a half-hour of prayer and worship, in various classrooms according to faith. Yesterday the science teacher told me I should accompany him while he talked to the Protestant kids (he's a Seventh Day Adventist, I think.) I stood in the back of the room while they talked in Kiswahili about god, and it all went over my head. Near the end, the teacher announced to the group of 80-some kids, that teacher Eliza was here today and that she is a Jew. They all turned to stare at me. Some jaws dropped. And when prompted by the teacher, they breathed a collective "wow." He then explained to the children that Jews are Christians. And had them repeat, “Jews are  . . . ?” “Christians!”  

I kept quiet and held the peace. That was my morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment