Saturday, February 28, 2015

My Stance on Animals


This post is Part #2 of today's blogging. 

I'm getting the sense that it is not possible to visit Africa without talking about the wildlife. Before I get into this post, I want to make clear where I stand in terms of animals. 

1. I don't really like animals. I’m just going to say that right off the bat. Most people are appalled to hear this statement, but I can genuinely say that though I have absolutely nothing against animals, I also just don't love them or see the appeal in pets the way many people do. In coming to Africa, I was sure that I did not want to volunteer on wildlife conservation projects, simply because I don't like animals enough to devote all my time to them. 

2. For a long time, I've kept this opinion a secret from others. And maybe even a bit from my self. As I said, people become completely bewildered and offended upon hearing that I don't like animals, reason enough to not shout this out to the world. 



3. All said, I think animals can be completely beautiful and incredible to witness. And I am in Africa. I have nothing against seeing all the animals that I possibly can while here and am so excited to have that opportunity. 

Two weekends ago, Michelle, another godmother of mine in Kenya for work for a couple months, took me to the baby elephant orphanage. The elephants were precious. Though it was completely pouring the entire time we were visiting them (and it's not at all supposed to be the rainy season right now,) they were so cute and red and small. By small, I mean like maybe my height of 5' 8''. They were slipping and sliding all over the place in the mud. 

After the two of us were completely soaked and covered in dirt, the sun came out and we went to feed the giraffes. These two animal stops are two of Nairobi's biggest tourist attractions. I fed a giraffe a couple handfuls of food and wondered how he'd managed not to get crazy fat from the tourists. 

Michelle totally and wonderfully understands everything I'm feeling and experiencing here, after living in Africa for more than a decade. We had a great day. The animals were beautiful. I quickly washed my hands after feeding the giraffe. 

Then this past weekend I went somewhere not listed as Trip Advisor's #1 and #2 Nairobi attractions. Rose, the godmother with whom I'm staying, has a friend who lives on a cattle ranch and wildlife preserve outside of Nairobi. Rose, Kendwa, and I spent the weekend at his beautiful home. 

At night, a herd of wildebeest grazed outside the door of my cottage. And, of course, they made wildebeest noises all night long – super fun for sleeping. Monkeys hung out on the veranda. Giraffes galloped across the wooded savannah. On game drives, zebras grazed alongside our jeep. Gazelles and warthogs scattered as I biked towards them. Ostriches stuck their heads in the ground, as usual.
  
Kendwa, Rose's daughter, had brought a friend along for the weekend. And try as I might to get the two of them to be quiet as we biked (I biked, they attempted to run alongside,) we saw more animals fleeing their shouts of "GAZELLE!" than animals standing and observing us. Oh well. 

I haven't thought too much about animals since I was in the earliest years of elementary school. When, like all other girls in my class, I had decided I wanted to be a veterinarian when I grew up. Thankfully, I've since changed my mind. However, since being here, I can see the appeal in animals just a bit more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment