Thursday, September 4, 2014

There's not a lot of soap at school

And by not a lot, I mean that I haven't seen literally any.

I went to school on Tuesday, the morning after my arrival. I got up at 6am, which wasn't real ideal. My initial impression of school? Crazy - kids running around and yelling and hugging me and touching me and sometimes attempting to speak English. It wasn't bad or anything, but it also wasn't the easiest situation to enter into as a 17-year-old in a completely new country, running on very little sleep. But I have to admit, getting hugs from five-year-olds who didn't even know my name was a little cute.

After having now been at school for three days, I'm getting so much more used to the level of chaos. So far this week I've been teaching with Amanda, who was covering my classes until I got here. And after watching her teach and manage a classroom, and after listening to the volunteers, I've come away with my first major observation on education here: teachers must constantly yell and use extremely loud voices to command the attention of their classrooms. While in part this is due to a cultural response to loud authority, it also owes to the fact that the classrooms here are not built to absorb the sounds of screaming children - rather they amplify the noise. So in order to be heard, one must yell, and the rooms are never ever completely quiet. After teaching both kindergarten and second grade today, my voice was hoarse. However, I am able to see the kindergarteners learning about sunshine versus rain and hot versus cold, which is actually good. The second graders, on the other hand, have no main English teacher, but rather an assortment of teachers covering their classes until another volunteer can come down. They are completely insane and don't seem to be learning a whole lot right now. I tried to teach them about the eye and pupil dilation today and only a few of them grasped the whole "less light, bigger pupils" idea. So if anyone is looking to come volunteer with me, second grade will love you.

But back to the soap issue. It's no secret that I'm sort of a germophobe. I really don't like sharing germs and I really like staying clean. Thus, the whole no soap in the bathrooms or anything is kind of getting to me. Especially with kids all over me all the time. But I've decided it will be good for me, even if only by toughening my immune system.

I think that the bagged drinks will probably also toughen my immune system, along with basically everything I eat ever. The food at school is extremely salty and the meat is somewhat sketchy and unidentifiable. None of the food is by any means bad, it's just not the organic whole grains and vegetables that I have spent 17 years consuming. Plus, the two meals each day at school are free. I am expanding my palate by putting avocado and scrambled eggs (two foods I'm not super into) in the breakfast baleadas, a sort of Honduran burrito. I've heard that baleadas purchased outside of school, as well as other Honduran food, is really good, but I haven't yet ventured out to purchase any dinners. I've also found that most Honduran food is fried, and that there exists no concept of health here. 

I, along with the other volunteers, plan to survive on rice, beans, and fresh produce. That's what I can afford to purchase for dinner and it is the cheapest food that exists here. After realizing that I had to begin grocery shopping and cooking for myself, I went to the market and bought a fairly random assortment of food that I felt could sustain me at least for a little while. Somehow I ended up with a large bag of milk, and I really don't like to drink milk. So we'll see how that goes. I've eaten rice, cucumber, and tomato for the last two nights. Tonight I got a little adventurous and added hot sauce as well. I'll learn to make beans this weekend. And I'm really starting to appreciate inventions such as the rice cooker and crock pot that enable me to feel like I know how to cook back home. 

Tomorrow I'll start teaching lessons even more on my own. We'll see how that goes. Worst case scenario I'll give up on teaching English grammar and I'll start a school-wide health campaign. It'll be pro-vegetables and anti-germs.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Eliza! I just tried to comment, but I don't think it worked. I'll try one more time. Sounds like a challenging teaching environment, even for a seasoned teacher. Go you for taking it on! And go your immune system for taking on the germs. If this works, I'll write a longer comment (again!) next time. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - one more thing. In your public health campaign, feel free to use my goat/immune system-white cells analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisa, this has been so fun to read so far. Dang girl, you're a great writer. The soap thing… I just kept thinking of my own one who doesn't like germs (Cole). It'd be a hard adjustment for him. : ) Keep up the good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am not sure why it autocorrected your name! I know how to spell ELIZA. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Eliza! I am so happy to hear that you are thriving in your new surroundings. Your writing is so descriptive and enjoyable to read! Now, a few words about Room Service etiquette: Always remember the staff is working tirelessly to meet your needs, so you must be polite and courteous at all times. I know this is all a bit unfamiliar to you, but this is why your gap year is so important. LIFE SKILLS! Hang in there. Keep practicing your elocution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eliza, I LOVE your blog! Hilarious, detailed, paints a perfect picture. Guarantee you're learning "more" than you will in college courses! BTW, I've been waiting for soap in the bathrooms for 2 weeks now at GRS. Finally put a note with a smiley face begging for soap on the dispenser yesterday. And Sheila tapped the stockpile of soap that chemistry students made last year. Now I understand, GRS just does that to prepare GRS students for gap years. I think the lack of soap at GRS is really just an intentional part of our prepared environment to help you feel ready for life! Bonding over dirty hands from abroad... Keep writing and smiling. Someday this will all be hilarious to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny, Melanie. You must be right - the only reason I'm surviving without soap is due to the training I received at GRS.

      Delete